Sunday, July 20, 2008

Another Life to Live

If I had another life I would choose to become an army officer rather than studying hard to become an engineer. Then I would not have to leave Pakistan in search of employment and higer studies. I would live in the posh defense housing society with servants and orderliesinstead of cleaning my own house and cutting grass in my yard on the weekends in USA. I would not have to worry about money and real estate. Army would have provided me with free plots in the defensesociety and and Maarabas.

I could have staged a coup and become thepresident. If not the army dictator would have appointed me head ofa large institution or even vice chancelor of a university where Icould abuse the poor elite Ph.D professors with an iron hand.

I would have taken care of my brothers and sisters by awarding themhuge defense contracts. I would have sent my sons and daughters tostudy at Harvard and Stanford. The universities would have admittedthem even if they were not good students for political correctness.Every few months I would go to Saudi Arabia to cleanse my sins byperforming Umra as a VIP on government expense. Then I will come backand do party in the defense and gymkhana clubs.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tum ne wohi baat kehi
'Zera umr-e-rafta ko awaaz de na'

The fact of the matter is that you have to live in the present while giving due cognizance to your past. As they say life has to go on and one has to learn to live with changes.
Too much 'romanticism' with the past does not help; of course you should not forget it but still. This is my thinking. You may disagree.

Hafeez